Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Vintage

Your past lies in the kind of music that remains hidden in the remotest corner of your shelves, tables, cupboards or your hard drives for that matter. .. The theory is as we age … and keep maturing our tastes change … the moods change the needs change too and not to mention the change in the entire way of creating music as well. An artist’s impression of creativity would vary from one decade to another as would his taste, which surely shall transform and evolve. Most certainly the popular form, which is now widely acceptable for this present generation, morphs into another form which might not match their taste, in the next …. Music caters to the mass and not the creative instincts of the creator … but to immortalize a piece of music is to impart an essence which is instantly identifiable to the untrained ear of the average listener of any generation.
So when I rummaged through and old pile of audio tapes I came across a few of them that had once served as the medium for my romance with music. I remember of having played them everyday basking in the high they provided … but all I find a decade later is layers of un-removable dust and a sense of shallow pity for the once coveted articles which could be bought only after countless tiffin sacrifices. So I shoved them aside and found the CD I was looking for not knowing if I’d again run into them again, ever.. oh.. those songs .. I don’t miss them ... now I have them stored on my computer … I hardly listen to them anymore but I guess I still remember them by heart ….but the point is I don’t miss them .
What I am amazed at is something exceptional in a few songs that I’ve come across in my entire life. There are a few songs that you like instantly , some u don’t know matter how many times you listen to them . But there are some that you don’t instantly connect to on the first go but gradually fall in love with over time…. A friend of mine agrees , says “there are some songs that grow on you , over time “ …. I agree ….
If songs could be emotions or relationships … would this be any different ? Would this still hold ?? It would be interesting to draw a comparison … but lets not relate two very different things … they say you can perform operations on two variables ONLY when they have the same units….. but what if we were talking of dimensionless quantities….. couldn’t we add multiply divide and NOT subtract ?? The answer perhaps lies buried in our present age .. .as we mature and age we’ll perhaps get an answer …. Probably this is the reason why the tastes in music of one generation varies from another … Age , Maturity and Answers to some questions from our past …..

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

just being me